Manual labour versus machine labour
In this section we discuss the advantages of machine over manual labour and vice versa.
- Can handle tough works which cannot be performed by manual labour
- Cheaper when repetation of work is more or carried out over a large distance
- Delivers better quality of work
- lesser number of operators
- Machine is not dependant on weather conditions as compared manual labour.Hence better realistic planning can take place.
- Human needs such as housing, transportation etc are eliminated resulting in cost saving.
- results in skill development which is beneficial to labours. Labours get high salary
- Heavy investments is required at an initial stages.
- Small and short duration projects are found to be costly when machines are used.
- Machine will be under breakdown when labour is used. No such problem when manpower is used.
- Projects cannot be started till machines are available. No such problems for labour. However this can be avoided by ordering machine at an earlier stage.
- Disposal of equipment and balance spare parts poses a problem after completion of projects.